With huge thanks to Miki I have fulfilled another one of my items on my fall to-do list. I successfully made an apple pie using the apples we picked a couple of weeks ago at Hartland Orchard and Miki’s apple pie recipe!!! (Or more accurately her husband’s mother’s apple pie recipe!)
Here is the recipe and some photos proving my cooking journey. 🙂
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 – 8 apples, peeled & thinly sliced
- dash salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup firm butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1. Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl. With a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
4. Roll out dough, and put in a pie plate.
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
3. Stir in apples
4. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate.
1. Mix topping ingredients together until crumbly.
2. Sprinkle on top of filling.
3. Bake 50 minutes. Cover topping with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes of baking.
Have you ever made apple pie?