Today it was “back to work I go” after having a blissful week off for the holidays! To be fair I was regularly checking email due to the nature of my job, but I was doing it from home and other places and not in the office, which was nice.
Tommy and I came home to a wonderful surprise from our ski trip (in addition to Ms. Violet). My mom had kindly whipped us up some black-eyed peas (for good luck in 2014!), kale, and cornbread. Problem immediately solved as to what to have for dinner. 🙂
I thought it would be interesting to look back at what my New Year’s resolutions were last year to see how I did in accomplishing them this past year.
- Save money – I have realized that I need to do a better job of putting more money into my Savings account…and keeping it there.
– No surprise here, I can still be better at this. What I find is that I’m good at saving money up to a point – for an upcoming trip or an upcoming present for someone. Once the trip comes or the present is bought my savings account takes a beating. To remedy this, I have now attempted to do this with my savings account: half of the amount goes towards something in the future, the other half is strictly for savings and not to be touched (primarily for an emergency). For instance if I have $400 in my account, $200 can be put towards an upcoming trip or purchase, the other $200 is not to be touched. Each pay period I make sure each “pool” gets an equal deposit.
- Cut my debt – this includes finally paying off my graduate school loan (which was the result of me telling my parents I wanted to pay for my Master’s program on my own, without any financial help). I don’t regret the decision, but it sure will be nice to have this paid off once and for all.
– Graduate school was paid off in 2013!!! Yahoo! I still have a couple of outstanding little debts that I am aggressively aiming to get rid of as we speak. So getting rid of this debt is one of my 2014 resolutions.
- Run a half-marathon (and then some!) – I am currently working/training for this goal right now. Bring on March 16 baby!
– I ran two half marathons to boot last year! The D.C. Rock ‘N’ Roll half marathon and the Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon. I hope to continue my running passion this year. I have already signed up for this year’s Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon with my friend Christina again. BRING IT ON!
- Bee in DC – this blog has brought so much joy to me and has provided a creative outlet for me that I have thrived on and look forward to everyday. Thanks for reading, it means the world to me.
– I love, love, love writing Bee in DC. It truly brings me such joy. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my thoughts and experiences. I really appreciate it. Bee in DC recently had it’s 1-year blogiversary which is crazy to even comprehend.
- Knock a few destinations off my travel list.
– The only locale I knocked off this particular list was Napa/Sonoma, which was amazing. To be fair Tommy and I did take an international trip to Belize. You can read all about these adventures here, here, here, here, here, here, here! Needless to say I hope to continue my love of traveling into 2014. There has already been some talk about some exciting trips which I will keep you posted on!
In a nutshell I think I did pretty well fulfilling my resolutions from last year. A few areas need improvement and work, but I’m trekking through!
How did you do with your New Year’s resolutions from 2013?